The Solo Exhibition Open Call
|When||1 Mar 2021 - 12 Mar 2021|
|Where||CUE Art Foundation
137 W 25th St
New York, NY 10001
The Solo Exhibition Open Call provides emerging and under-recognized artists the necessary resources to present an exhibition at CUE in 2022. The selected artists will receive valuable mentor support from an established artist or curator on the selection panel, including a studio visit and installation guidance in preparation for the exhibition. In addition, exhibiting artists each receive a $5,000 honorarium and an accompanying exhibition catalogue with an essay written by a participant in CUE’s Art Critic Mentoring Program.
ELIGIBILITY FOR UNDER-RECOGNIZED ARTISTS
CUE’s Solo Exhibition Open Call is for artists who:
- Have not had a solo show in a commercial NYC gallery within the last five years
- Do not have current, consistent commercial gallery representation in the United States
- Are not currently enrolled in a degree program
- Have a demonstrated, consistent studio practice outside an academic setting for three or more years
- Please note that advanced degrees or degrees of any sort are not required for this exhibition opportunity
- Must currently live and work in the United States
- The exhibition program is open to artists working in all disciplines.
- Extra consideration will be given to artists who present ideas or topics that are not well-represented in the commercial sector.
- CUE strongly encourages applications that contribute to our ongoing commitment to diversity.
WHAT FINALISTS RECEIVE
- Five-week solo exhibition at CUE Art Foundation in 2022
- Curatorial support/mentoring from an established artist or curator on the selection panel
- Opportunities to develop related public programming
- 32-page full color catalogue with essay produced through the Art Critic Mentoring Program and a statement by the curator
- $5,000 unrestricted honorarium
- This year, we will not be requiring solo exhibition applicants to include a budget with their application materials. Please note that any exhibition expenses beyond those covered by CUE will need to be deducted from the artist’s honorarium. For more information about expenses, a comprehensive breakdown can be downloaded here.
- An art shipping and art handling budget
- Opening reception
- Press materials and PR support
THE SELECTION PROCESS
The Open Call is judged in two stages. After applications are screened for eligibility, an initial jury reviews applications online to select a shortlist of applicants to proceed to the next stage. The initial jury remains anonymous and includes representatives from CUE’s network of alumni and advisors.
The finalists are decided by a separate jury comprised of four established curators and artists that will convene in New York City in late spring 2021. Each panelist then selects a finalist to work with as a Curator-Mentor throughout the planning stages of the exhibition.
The final jury panelists change each year and remain confidential until finalists are announced. Recent panelists include artist, Guadalupe Maravilla; curator, Sohrab Mohebbi; artist, Ronny Quevedo; curator, Legacy Russell; curator, Marcela Guerrero; artist, David Humphrey; curator, Daniel J Sander; curator, Michelle Yun; artist, Ali Banisadr; art historian, Andrianna Campbell; and artist, Steffani Jemison, amongst others.
All applicants will be notified of results by the end of June 2021.
For more information please click here.
Image courtesy of the event organizer.