Call for Submissions – Open Platform at Backroom Conversations
Application deadline: March 21 2012, 12pm (HKT)
To give voice to ideas that demand to be heard, here and now, Asia Art Archive (AAA) presents ‘Open Platform’ with a call to cultural producers and organisers to submit proposals for 28-minute presentations that will be held during ART HK 12, the Hong Kong International Art Fair. The parametres for presentation content are wide-reaching and can include anything from lectures and performances to the introduction of art projects, books, workshops, and beyond.
AAA has been the official educational partner of ART HK since its inception in 2008, presenting ‘Backroom Conversations’ to address global issues in the field with a regional focus through a series of well-received talks, panel discussions, screenings, and a conference. Past programmes have included speakers Ron Arad, Sabine Breitwieser, Johnson Chang, ger Choi, David Elliott, Yuko Hasegawa, Manray Hsu, Hu Fang, Eungie Joo, Vasif Kortun, Barbara London, Charles Merewether, Sarat Maharaj, Heiward Mak, Frances Morris, Alexandra Munroe, Pak Sheung Chuen, Park Chan-kyong, Qiu Zhijie, Martha Rosler, Rirkrit Tiravanija, William Wells, Ada Wong, Wong Chi Lung, Wong Hoy Cheong, Wucius Wong, Pauline Yao, and Daniela Zyman. Last year, ‘Backroom Conversations’ incorporated ‘Open Platform’.
A panel of judges will select presentations for ‘Open Platform’ based on diversity of content, originality, format, and relevance to today’s world. AAA will provide a publicly accessible platform for these presentations during the fair and support necessary costs such as projectors, a basic stereo system, and publicity along with ‘Backroom Conversations’. Chosen projects will be awarded up to US$1,500 to support other related costs. Panel judges include Alan Cruickshank (Broadsheet), Kao Tzu-Chin (Artco), Elaine Ng (ArtAsiaPacific), and Mark Rappolt (Art Review).
- Proposal illustrating the content and format of your presentation (no more than two-pages and written in English)
- Project budget (up to US$1,500) for related costs, including translation*, if desired
- If necessary to the understanding of the proposal, up to 5 images (each no more than 300KB) and an audio-visual sample (no longer than 3 minutes) may be submitted
- Proposals should be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to: Backroom/AAA, 11/F Hollywood Centre, 233 Hollywood Road, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
- Application deadline: 12pm (HKT), 21 March 2012
- Successful applicants will be contacted via email by the end of April and announced on AAA’s website in the beginning of May
* Although English is commonly used in presentations during ‘Backroom Conversations’, applicants are welcome to use other languages and may choose to arrange their own translators, to be supported by their proposed budgets.